In the event of a natural disaster, it can take first responders up to 72 hours to reach those in non-critical conditions. In order to prepare yourself and your family, create a basic emergency kit to help you survive a disaster.
- 2L of water per person per day
- Canned food, energy bars, non-perishables
- Manual can opener
- Flashlight and batteries
- Battery-powered or wind-up radio and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Special needs items:
- Prescription medications, infant formula, and equipment for people with disabilities
- Extra keys for your car and house
- Include smaller bills and change for pay phones (travelers’ cheques are handy also)
- Emergency plan
- Include a hard copy of your emergency plan and ensure it lists in-town and out-of-town contacts
Live on the West Coast? Maybe It’s Time to Consider Earthquake Insurance
According to IBC, there are 4,000 recorded earthquakes in Canada each year, and earthquake damage is not typically covered by a standard home insurance policy. This is especially critical to those living in BC, where the majority of these earthquakes occur. In fact, there is a 30% chance of a significant earthquake in British Columbia in the next 50 years.
So What Does Earthquake Insurance Cover?
- Coverage for earthquake damage is not included in a standard home insurance policy, but can be purchased as an add-on to your existing policy.
- Earthquake insurance is subject to a higher deductible.
- If an earthquake breaks a gas main and starts a fire, the resulting fire damage would likely be covered under a standard home insurance policy. Your coverage will depend on the legislation in your province or territory.
- In certain circumstances, homeowners who are unable to return to their home as a result of insurable damage are entitled to additional living expenses
- Earthquake coverage is available for your place of business. To mitigate losses to your business in the event of an earthquake, you can purchase business interruption insurance.
Think Earthquake Insurance is right for you? Contact Shaw Sabey today and get started!